Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Healing What Chemo Can't.

Working with children facing cancer has been one of the most humbling experiences of my entire life. Cancer is a diagnosis that affects not only the patient, but also their family members, friends, schools, and communities. Although the specific type of cancer and treatment plan may differ, for most families, the diagnosis initiates some of the same questions. Why us? Why my child? Why my family?

These are the same questions my family and I were once confronted with when my older brother was diagnosed with cancer. Upon first hearing the news, it’s as if someone has punched you in the stomach and knocked all the wind out of your body. You can’t breathe. It hurts, deep down and quite emotionally, it hurts.

As social workers, we are trained to be there for individuals and families facing great difficulties and life challenges. It means that from the point of diagnosis, we will walk beside our patients and their loved ones through the constant thunderstorm of cancer. This profession continuously provides me with the opportunity to make a difference…to provide emotional/social support in someone’s darkest hours; to sit with them and listen to their story. Allowing them to cry or be angry. To let them know it’s okay to question why this is happening. I connect them to multiple resources within the community to help ease them through one of the hardest journeys they will ever make. And more often than not, I get to be there during the celebration –after the treatment has worked and all those weeks…months…years of rigorous treatment have finally paid off. I am able to rejoice with them, and wave goodbye as they leave the hospital for the final time.

Some people say my job must be very sad and hard to do every day. To those people I politely smile and say, “Well, you’ve never had the privilege of sitting beside a child while they’re eating cake at their No Mo Chemo party!” Social work is privileged work, and pediatric oncology practice reminds me of this every single day.

“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” -Mahatma Gandhi

Medical Social Worker
337-521-9100